Residents: Updates Post-Spring Break

Render of Installation Proposal:

setup_01

SKETCH_SETUP3.png

Building:

Main frame, and “shelves”

More animation drafts and overview (still image):

cookin_01.gif

32017.png

+++

03/27 Update

Upon getting advice about shortening the projector’s throw distance, I modified the standing structure into two 1-ft segments. I am using a “mirror technique” in order to shorten the throw distance of the projected image by pointing the projector back at a mirror that bounces the light back to the tracing paper.

The resulting image is a little distorted (trapezoidal shape of the screen), but I’m not too bothered by it (and it shouldn’t be too hard to adjust)

20170326_193049.jpg

I ended up adding door hinges to the side panels so that the structure would be able to “open” and “close”. I had them initially taped and then drilled into the main frame. The projection surface/tracing paper also ended up being removed and replaced by a more appropriately-sized sheet (so there is no seam visible in the middle of the surface).

HOUSE: Updates 2/20

As of this week/last week, I’ve started doing basic/”still” character animations and refining the layout of the house space. Projector configurations are still up in the air, as I’m still looking for a replacement to my toy projector for something that will give me a little more fine details. For, now, it’s better to work on the content itself.

animation-base-01
Cleaned-up version of the house structure that will be used in the projection. It should comfortably fit a “rectangle” of 18in x 24in (3:4 units). This sketch also highlights where two of the characters are in relation to the house (or at least, the two characters I’ve worked on so far)
bed_guy_01
Sample animation of “bedguy”; this character reflects self-contemplation after a rough day

I also have two screenshots of my desktop, featuring how I usually work with Clip Studio and a SP3 in creating these kinds of animations.

And here’s a video link to how animation playback in the program (kinda) works in real-time. 

HOUSE: Makeshift Update

This weekend I made time to at least test how I want to project images onto a surface for the “house projection”. I ended up making an interesting result!

Originally, the setup I had in mind involved forward-projecting the animations on the “sculpture” component.

20170203_alt.jpg

This is a really rushed “model” of what I considered, and tried with various cardboard boxes. While the setup looked well-lit for the purposes of the potential installation, this would only really be suitable if the gallery space were pitch-black. (Given that the slightly-edited picture above is really… not good)

I started with researching alternative surfaces for projecting images – particularly, on transparent/glassy surfaces that I could potentially light from behind the sculpture.  However, it was worth noting that this method could be potentially be out of my budget for what I’d be willing to spend on. So I found an alternative in rear-projection techniques that required more accessible materials. (Here is a link to an instructables project using this kind of projection) 

20170204_181445.jpg

20170204_181455.jpg

The makeshift “cave” I made here involves a box holding the projector that blocks off light from most directions, except for the surface it projects on. The surface projection is a sheet of translucent vellum paper (originally intended for scrapbooking!), which I drew on to see how it would show up. The bed drawing, made with a Faber-Castell pen, ended up being the most opaque and true to what I wanted. Based on these results, I think I want the “furnishings” of the house to be hand-drawn at this point!